A greenfield implementation of an entire AWS environment for a FTSE 100 business.
A new data platform is being built from scratch to inject ALL data from across the with the view to build an enterprise-wide data platform that will transform this company into a data-driven organisation.
The legacy data will be ingested into a data lake with AWS services sitting on top.
The platform will enable Data Science as a Service.
The current state of play
In short – there is nothing in place at the moment. The roadmap and the strategy have been developed but this is the design and build phase of the project. You will be coming in from the beginning and be able to design the architecture from the ground up.
This business is 30 years old so there is a myriad of legacy systems to consider.
There is also a lack of cloud experience within the organisation at the moment. We are looking for anyone new coming into the business to bring it with them.
The important bit…experience needed from you
- As a Data Architect you will need to have experience in a cloud environment. Ideally, I would like to see AWS but other cloud environments will be considered. Hadoop is also considered.
- We need you to have strong data modelling experience as well. We’re not bothered with what you use tool-wise. There’re all fairly similar and the end results are widely the same.
- We are looking for people who have delivered large enterprise-wide cloud data solutions for reporting, advanced analytics or machine learning with a data lake – this is important. You will be responsible for architecting the data lake so experience doing this previously is essential.
- There will also be a lot of legacy data you will be dealing with so experience with a variety of RDBMS, MPP’s and NoSQL databases is extremely useful. The data will go into structured, none-structured and raw formats in the new platform making multiple use cases for the data possible (analytics, reporting, machine learning etc.). One of the main use cases driving the build is the eventual implementation/adoption of an analytics lab/centre of excellence that will utilise ML to build products and services. As a result, you will be working closely with data engineers throughout this programme.
- Finally, experience with data governance and data management.
- A traditional enterprise data architect that has moved in to cloud over the last few years would be ideal.
This is 100% delivery focused. I’m looking for builders and doers. Hands-on people that want to look back in a couple of years and can confidently say “I delivered an AWS based platform that is ML ready for a FSTE 100 business – from scratch.” This is a genuinely exciting project for architects so if you would like to hear more about it please get in touch and I’ll talk you through everything. I’ve been working with this business for a couple of years now so can really go into detail.